Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Sweets for My Sweets


I'm a glutton for punishment.  As if it wasn't bad enough that I gave up sweets for Lent, today I decided to do some baking.  That's right - I tortured myself in my own kitchen.

Yesterday we went to the grocery store after the kids and I saw Mr. Peabody and Sherman at the movie theater.  There were lots of fresh berries on sale this week, so we picked out fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries.

I was cooking dinner tonight and decided to put those fresh berries to use.  I made The Pioneer Woman's Blackberry Cobbler, except instead of blackberries I used a mixture of our cache from the produce aisle at HEB.  I was so good, I didn't even taste the batter.  That's a big step, my friends.

Before Pic - There's no after pic because the kids ate it too fast!

You were only supposed to bake it for an hour, but there must be something wrong with my oven because I had to bake it for almost two hours.  And I had to smell it the whole time.  Mike told me I should just have a taste, because I made it myself and it wasn't like it was a poptart or a donut.  I looked at him blankly.  That's a slippery slope - if that's an out, I made it myself, guess who will be deep-frying donuts tomorrow!  

Y'all should be proud - I never ate a single bite.  I didn't even try the spoon I served the bowls with.  Mike said it was amazing.  The kids practically licked their bowls clean.  And Mike said that technically on Sunday you can have whatever you gave up for Lent.  So I should just have it Sunday.  

Is that true?  Or did he make up his own rules again?  Sounds like a story to me ... Either way, I'm not eating sweets on Sunday.

Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails