Saturday, October 16, 2010

KSBJ

For those of you who have been following my Marathon Journey, you know that despite my wishes, I was not selected for the Chevron Houston Marathon/Aramco Houston Half Marathon.  I did go ahead and register for hte USAFit Sugarland Marthon on January 16th, but my heart has always stayed focused on making it to the 'real' Houston Marathon on January 30th.  This past weekend, I think I may have found my entry ticket.

My sister-in-law Trish's friend, Cheryl, overheard on KSBJ that they were giving away 50 entry spots to the Cheveron/Aramco Houston Marathon.  I logged on late Friday night, expecting a call-in contest, and was pleased to find an entry asking me to write about "How God Speaks to Me When I Run."  I prayed for guidance, and then began to write my entry.  I'm not sure if it's exactly what they are looking for, and I honestly am not concerned about that as I feel I wrote how God was leading me.  Regardless, below please find my entry to the KSBJ Marathon Team.  I should find out within 3 weeks whether I've been selected as one of the 50.  It is very hard for me to stay calm and not worry about this.  I've asked all friends to pray that if this is God's will, that it will happen.  Then, if it doesn't happen, I will be ok as I will know it was not in HIS plan.  This entry is an adaptation of my blog of running 5 miles for the first time.  I hope that it touches you - I know that it spoke to me.

"I decided to run a marathon when I was 22 years old. The plan was to run one before I turned 30. It's part of my "Age 30 Bucket List." I turn 30 in May, and while I don't believe I'm able to run a marathon yet, I do know that I can run a half marathon.




Thirteen short weeks ago, I started on this journey to run 13.1 miles. I signed up to train with a local running group, KatyFit. Our first run was 1.5 miles. That was the longest 17 minutes of my life, in 95 degree heat no less. I came in from that run panting like a dog, and questioning my sanity. I also started questioning my ability.



At week 6, while running 4 miles for the first time, I thought that the reason I was able to do it was through the support of my group. I continued to believe that for several weeks, until week ten. Week ten literally changed my entire viewpoint on running. It was supposed to be my first time running 5 miles, and I was really counting on my group to support me through it.



I tried to do everything I could to prepare myself the night before the run. I went to bed early the night before, I prayed, I even posted on Facebook that I could do all things through Christ who strengthens me. But the morning of, all my preparation went awry.



Number one, I woke up late. Extremely late. I awoke at 6:50 am, when my husband asked me if I was planning on running that day. You know that feeling, that you're naked in the middle of your last final for college? I had that feeling, except I was in my own bed, reeling at the fact that I was still at home, instead of standing at Terry Hershey Park ready to get running with my group.



I jumped up, dressed as quickly as I could, and then set about for issue number two. I was unable to find my hydration belt. Finally, I woke my husband up and tearfully asked him to help me. For some reason, he found it in our hall closet, hanging on a hook with my large collection of diaper bags. Don't ask me why it was there - I obviously put it there thinking that would be a good place, but for the life of me I can't remember why. I left the house in tears, crying that I couldn't run 5 miles on my own, and what was I thinking.



I prayed in the car during the drive to Terry Hershey Park. It's about ten miles from our house, so God and I had a long conversation. A conversation in which I realized that despite my fears, I would not be alone. I parked, found a five mile route and stepped off.



In Isaiah 58:8, it says "Your righteousness shall go before you; the Glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard." I truly believe that I was not alone that morning - every time I felt as if I could go no further, God sent a sign to remind me He was there. Whether it was a friendly face on the trail, a hug while running past a wonderful man in KatyFit with special needs, or just His quiet voice within me, the Lord was there that morning - He was my rear guard.



Five miles is a long time - about 58 minutes at my pace, to be exact. That included stopping to refill my water bottles twice. And during that time, I grew joyful that I had overslept and gone out without my group. I learned that you are never alone - even in your darkest times at mile 4.5 with no water in sight. When you think you can't go any farther, you can. He is always with you, and you can always depend on God for all of your needs. It is true - I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me. And if I can, anyone can! "
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails