Saturday, July 3, 2010

Modern Literature

I am reading the worst book and it is really bothering me.  I don't want to name names, or authors, but honestly when I checked this book out from the library, I thought it was standard fluffy chick lit.  Turns out it's not. 

It's bothering me to the worst degree.  This book is a diatribe on six Latina women who graduated from college together, and continue to meet up with one another at least twice a year.  Sounds great, except . . . there are portions of the book which glamourize bulimia (really?) and one of the girls puts up with serious spousal abuse, and the book seems to glorify it.

I can say this, only 75 pages in, so perhaps I need to keep reading, but right now, I just want to throw in the towel.  What concerns me is that while I am an almost 30 year old woman who recognizes that glamourizing and glorifying bulimia and spousal abuse is in pretty poor taste, there may be some women out there who buy it.  And that scares me.

It scares me even more so now that I have my own daughter.  No way I want her reading this book at an impressionable age, and deciding that this is how she should live her life.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Candace Bushnell (Sex & the City) fan, and I love chick lit to the n'th degree - my most recent read was The Devil in the Junior League, but those are pretty harmless compared to this world I'm reading right now.  I'm not sure what my point is with this - it's mostly a late night rambling after one too many chocolate martinis, but either way . . . bulimia and spousal abuse . . . pretty serious stuff.  Not chick lit, and definitely not random topics to throw around and act as if they are fun and 'cool.'  I'm not impressed . . .

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails