Friday, July 30, 2010

I almost said an ugly word . . .

Sammy knows what ugly words are now.  Unfortunately, several weeks ago he picked up a bad word from his dad (or maybe from me) and he began using them in context.  After several warnings, he's been trying very hard not to say "ugly" words any more.  I decided to use the term "ugly" words with him rather than bad.  That way, we can use it to reference saying mean things as well as bad words.

In any event, Sammy definitely knows what an ugly word is now.  On Friday, Mike was working late, and I was planning to take a bath while letting Sammy watch a movie in our bedroom.  As he clambered onto our high king-size bed, I heard a little squeal come from his mouth.  I was in our bathroom, and called out "Sammy, are you ok?"  "Oh, Mommy - I slipped on the bed, and I almost said an ugly word.  But I didn't."  "That's good, Sammy.  I'm proud of you!"  "Yep.  I almost said oh shit, but I didn't." 

Holy crap, he just said oh shit . . . again.  But he thinks he did really good and didn't say it.  He did say it, though.  Do I put him in timeout?  Laugh hysterically?  What to do . . . what to do . . . What would you do?

I told him again that I was proud of him and let it go.  In HIS mind, he did the right thing, and that's all that matters.  I'll worry about the semantics later . . . while I quietly laugh hysterically in the bathtub at my sweet son who tries really hard!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails