Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Awanas

Last week, Sammy joined the Awanas program at First Baptist Church in Katy.  This is not our home church, but our home church stopped offerng the Awanas program this year, and I really wanted Sammy to be able to participate, so while we were driving home from my Bible study at Current, I happened to see a sign advertising FBC's Awanas program, and the rest is history!

Sammy joined a week late, so I was anxious for him to catch up with all of his peers.  The Awanas program is AMAZING!  They use games, puppets, crafts, awards and other experiences to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to children.  In addition, kids learn one Bible memory verse per week.  Sammy is in the Cubbies group, and he absolutely loves it!  I was nervous during his first week - I promised him I would stay the whole time, so I spent my evening peeking into rooms where the Awanas program was going on.  Sammy did awesome!  He was sitting, participating with his peers, and seemed to really enjoy it.  His first week, he received a Cubbies bag to hold all of his gear, and his Cubbies book. 

Most of his peers already earned their Cubbies vest during the prior year, when they were 3.  In order to earn your vest, you have to memorize 3 Bible verses as well as the Cubbies motto.  PLUS, the children learn one memory verse per week.  All in all, since Sammy was a week late, this meant he had to memorize 5 verses as well as the motto.  Can we just say that Mama was a wreck? 

Today was Sammy's second day at Awanas.  I was completely in shock, as to be honest I wasn't sure he'd be able to memorize ONE verse per week, much less the 5 we had up against us!

Can I just say how PROUD I am?  I know, everyone throw up now, proud Mama - but seriously, I am so excited for Sammy!  He memorized 5 verses, plus the Cubbies motto, in one week, and was able to earn his Cubbies vest and catch up with all his Cubbies friends!



I am so proud of my little Cubbie!  I was standing right outside the room when it was time for him to show his stuff . . . when he had finished and came running out to show me his Cubbies vest, I had tears in my eyes for Sammy.  Accomplishing something yourself is a great feat, but watching your children accomplish their goals is even sweeter! 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails