Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Immersion

Are you fully "immersed" into Christ?  I am . . . and not only once, but twice!  I was first baptized via full immersion when I was 12 years old.  My Baptizer was my Missionettes leader, Lisa Smotts.  I loved her so much - Lisa was a Godly woman.  She was married, had one daughter, worked fulltime, and sang like an angel.  I looked up to her so much when I was a girl, and I really appreciate the beautiful life she demonstrated to myself and all of my friends at such an impressionable age.  I am thankful for the beautiful gift of such a God-loving woman - I first met Lisa when I was about 8 years old.  She worked full time for Southwestern Bell, and gave her entire life to God and to her family.  I cannot place into words what an awesome woman Lisa Smotts was - she stood by her man, and raised her daughter in the fullness of God's light.  And I cannot tell you what a beautiful witness she was to me and to many of my girlfriends in church that I grew up with.

I remember looking up to Lisa so much.  We lost touch after awhile, and many years later, after a long battle with cancer, Lisa passed away.  She left a beautiful legacy to all of us - she never lost her faith in God, and her love for her family.  Today, I am in touch with Lisa's daughter, Christina, on Facebook.  It is so wonderful to me to see the way that Christina has matured and grown up.  I know that God, and her wonderful mom, Lisa, are looking out for Christina, and shining on her life today.  I cannot express how much I am thankful for the wonderful role model and woman of God that Lisa was to me.

In keeping with that, my husband decided that he would like to be fully immersed into Christ as well, however he wanted us both to share in the experience together.  At first, I honestly did not want to.  In my humble opinion, I had been baptized at age 12 by Lisa, and I didn't want to discredit that experience in any way at all.  However, I wanted to support Mike as well.  After much prayer and consideration, this Tuesday, May 18th, Mike and I were both baptized by our pastor, Darren Walter, at Current in Katy, Texas.  It was a beautiful experience, made even more special by the witness provided by my parents, and my paternal grandmother. 

Have you been baptized by immersion?  Are you excited about your decision? I know we both were . . .

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails