Monday, May 24, 2010

Just How Talented Is She?

She is my mother-in-law . . . Mike's mom, Rita.  And I know I've said it before here and here, but seriously, Rita needs some applause!  She is talented!  Rita makes beautiful cakes - apparently she took some Wilton classes many years ago, but her talent just improves year after year!  Literally!  She has been making cakes for as long as I've known her - almost 9 years this July - and each year it just gets better and better!

Some of the first cakes I saw of Rita's were my niece and nephew's birthday cakes.  I've also seen a few she did for various showers.  But by far, my favorite cakes of hers have been for my children's birthdays.  I know, I'm a bit prejudiced - but seriously, can you blame me?

For Sammy's First Birthday, we had a Dinosaur party!  I purchased several Wilton cake molds and Rita did the rest!

Note the mini dinosaur molds in the middle!  One of them was Sammy's personal cake!

Sammy's 2nd birthday had a farm theme!  I found these cake ideas on Family Fun, and once again, Rita did the rest!

Both cakes are made with round cake molds, and the rest is part candy, part imagination!


This cake was for Sammys 3rd birthday, which was a Thomas the Train theme.
This one was awesome!  Yes, that is a 3D train, made of cake and icing!

More detail!

Sammy loved Thomas!  He tried to take a bite off his funnel!

Sophia's 1st Birthday had a bug theme!  I found the cake ideas on Family Fun again, but it is Rita's personal touch and flair that really make them so wonderful!  This was Sophia's personal cake!

Beautiful butterflies and a big ladybug for all!


Sammy's 4th birthday was a pirate theme.  I found the cake idea on, you guessed it, Family Fun, but Rita read some reviews and found out the the cake idea from Family Fun wasn't stable and actually collapsed a lot.  So, she changed it up and made it her own.  The end result . . .

FABULOUS, as usual!! 

Can I also just comment on Rita's dedication?  Believe it or not, Sammy's pirate cake was the second one that she made . . . the first one collapsed at home, so she quickly made a second one, and prayed it would make it to Katy on their drive to the party!  It sure did, and the result was beautiful! 

I know Rita's going to kill me for saying this, but I think perhaps I should come up with a big challenge for her next year . . . I'm thinking, perhaps, a fairy castle?  A life-size Transformer?  Just kidding, Gigi - the kids would love it even if it was a simple sheet cake, but I love to see your talent!  Thanks for being such a willing cakery for my crazy ideas!

Oh, and can I mention again that several of my friends have tried to hire her for their children's birthdays?  I'm really thinking a cakery might be a great second career . . . hint, hint!


Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails