Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ah, the Funk is Coming . . .

I knew this day was coming, but I didn't realize it would come so soon.  I've heard tales of other children who, around this age, refused to wear anything except the superman costume, or the same shirt over and over again.  For the longest, I didn't think it would affect Sammy, but boy has it come in droves!

It has also come at the same time as another age appropriate milestone - the era of pretend and make-believe.  I've been noticing this for awhile now . . . This weekend, Sammy wanted to go outside and climb the trees in the backyard, but he didn't want to do it unless he was wearing his monkey costume.  Thank goodness it still fits him from his 18 month old Halloween!  He spent hours and hours in his monkey costume, driving his monster truck all over the backyard and climbing the crepe myrtles.  I wish I could have gotten a picture, but my camera charger has been hiding in my brother's truck since we went to the prom last month.  Maybe he'll do it again soon.

His newest pretend game is that he is a fireman.  Yesterday we were at Target, where I purchased a pair of rain boots for Sammy.  The rain boots are for a playdate we are having next week at our friend Travis's country house.  The kids are going to tromp through the forest, collect bugs, and play in the mud.  I've been looking for rain boots for awhile, and was lucky to find a pair that fit Sammy at Target.  So lucky, in fact, that it wouldn't have mattered to me if they were Hello Kitty boots.  Unfortunately, they weren't.  They were fireman boots.  They're black, with the fire department symbol on the front.

Sammy is obsessed with them.  He has not taken them off since I bought them.  You think I'm joking, but I'm not.  As soon as we got to the car, he insisted I take the tags off, and immediately removed his Woody boots and put on the fireman rain boots.  We got home, it was time for him to take a nap, and yet he ran up to his room to grab his fireman hat and insisted on taking a nap in his boots and hat.  As a matter of fact, the ONLY time Sammy has removed the fireman boots from his feet was when he took a bath, and when he came down to our room at 3 am to get in our bed with us.  Mike had told him before he went to sleep in his fireman boots that he wasn't allowed in our bed with them on. 

Sammy removed his fireman boots at the foot of our bed.  As soon as he woke up this morning, the boots went back onto his feet.  Along with his fireman socks.  I'm not sure why these socks, specifically, are fireman socks, however they are gray, and have red toes and heel sections.  Perhaps it's the color?

I'm slightly concerned about the obsession with the fireman boots.  My concern is growing even more, as my friend Elle has a fireman rain slicker in a size 3T that she has graciously offered to give to us.  While I'm excited to encourage Sammy's pretend and dramatic play, I'm also having nightmares about him running around for the next month in his fireman boots, socks, hat, and the rain slicker.  I will be the laughingstock of the neighborhood. 

I guess it could be worse . . . he could want to wear a blue superman costume, or worse he might want to dress up as Tinkerbell.  I should be happy that it's a fireman dream, right?  Right? 

I promise to post a picture of Sammy in full fireman gear soon.  That is, if the smell of his fireman socks doesn't knock me to my knees, considering that he's been wearing them for two full days now . . .

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a tour of the fire department might not be too far off in the future...Also it might be worth the hunt to track down another pair of ¨fireman¨socks :) I personally find it cute when the little ones enter this phase...It´s only a phase after all and your right it could be MUCH MUCH worse!
    -Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Can't wait for him to try to put out a fire with his fireman hose... hahaha. Can't wait to see the pic, post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fire man too. His boots are now too small. I am torn between buying a new pair or not. If I do, he won't take them off as you know, but if I don't, he just keeps asking, wishing and dreaming.
    P.S. Tractor Supply always has rainboots in stock in every size.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails