Friday, March 5, 2010

It's Getting Better All the Time . . .

I would like to take a minute to express how much I love both of my children.  And in that, I'd like to thank God for giving me a glimpse today of where Sammy will be in several years. 

As many of you know, this has been a rough year for Sammy.  I honestly don't know who came up with the expression The Terrible Twos.  Because I'm here to tell you that the threes have been a million times more terrible than two ever was.  That being said, I also know that this is a phase, that Sammy has been adjusting to his baby sister being a member of the family now, and that he's also testing his boundaries.  He can be so darn stubborn sometimes, though. 

Those of you who know me well know that I have spent countless hours crying and asking God why Sammy can be so headstrong.  I honestly know the answer - it's in his genes.  My parents love to tell me stories of some of the crazy things I said and did growing up.  And they say that you are repaid seven-fold.  All I have to say is, thank goodness that Mike was such a good child, because otherwise, we'd really be in trouble.  Rita, feel free to jump in at any time and share with me that Mike was actually a donkey sometimes as well - methinks he doth protest his innocence too much!

I know that God never gives you more than you can handle.  And I also know that I wouldn't change my spirited little boy for anything - although he does need to tone it down a bit!  I'm not sure if the past few days have been so wonderful just because it's such a sharp contrast from his drug-induced psychosis the other day or what.  But either way, I'm not complaining!

Tonight, when I put Sammy to bed, we read a wonderful book by Max Lucado, called You Are Special.  I love this book - we'd never read it before, and the message is so powerful.  It brought me to tears as I read it to Sammy.  I love how it is so timeless, and demonstrates to children that God loves them just the way they are, no matter what.  I pray that I can always show unconditional love to my husband and my children - just like our Maker does to us. 

Back to Sammy's wonderful day . . . he has the most loving spirit.  He can be so gentle and kind, and his innocence is so beautiful.  I love his inquisitive nature, and the crazy ideas that he gets.  He continued to wear his police badge everywhere today - again, I really think he might have a future career in mind.  Either that, or he might be a pirate, since he loves to put on that costume as well.

Have you nurtured your child's spirit today?  Have you told them how much you love them, and how much they mean to you?  You should - you never know how much your child might need to hear that.  And when you say to them, "I'm so glad that you're my son," and they turn to you and say "I'm so glad that you're my mommy," your heart will break all over again for them.  Thank your children for the joy they bring to your lives . . . remind them that are children of God, and that you love them just for being them.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails