Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Friends and Words

Today, I had the great joy of getting to see several of my favorite people that I never get to see anymore.  A few weeks ago, one of my favorite former student's mom Crystal(who's also a great friend of mine), arranged for us to meet at the Houston Zoo on Tuesday of her daughter's Spring Break.  It was meant to be a suprise to Caila, and I was so excited to get to participate in it.  Also, my former teaching partner, Melissa, planned to attend as well.  I was so excited when we went to bed on Monday night - I never get to see them anymore since we moved back to Katy, and I felt so blessed to get to the following day.

Except, when we woke up, it was raining.  Drizzling rain.  Rain that was supposed to last all day.  I dutifully packed lunches and changes of clothes anyway, loaded up the truck and headed downtown to the museum district.  I also picked up my niece and nephew, Amber and Austin, to go with us.  En route, I had a quick conversation with Crystal and Melissa where we changed our plans and headed to the Children's Museum instead due to the rain.

What a wonderful day - I loved getting to spend time with all.  I loved teaching with Melissa - I feel she and I get each other, and getting back together, it was right where we were when teaching.  I'm so glad I got to see her and her beautiful children, Ashley and Brian!  I'm also glad I got to see Caila.  Caila was one of my favorite students - she's very wise, and has an old soul.  She also loves to giggle.  Plus, she comes from a great family (love ya Mark and Crystal!), and her little sis Cassidi is too cute!  I'm sure her older brother, Colton, is a gem as well - he comes from the same great genes - but I've only met Colton with a wave through the car window.  As Caila grows older, I'm looking forward to keeping in touch with her - I can't wait to see what a beautiful, accomplished, intelligent young woman she will become!

Melissa's daughter Ashley, Sammy, and Caila

Melissa, Caila and I

I believe Sammy might have a bit of a crush on Ashley . . . that evening, when we were eating dinner, he told me that the best part of his day was sitting on the bench and eating next to Ashley.  Hmmmm . . .

And now for my latest parenting mistake . . . This morning as we were getting packed, I might have said "Oh, shit."  But I can't remember.  Obviously, Sammy might have heard it, though.  We were in the garage loading the stroller, and Sammy dropped his toy.  He said "Oh, shit!"  "Sammy!  We don't say that, we say Oh No!"  He looks at me strangely and says, "OK, Mommy."  I thought it might have worked.

But it didn't.  Tonight, as he was changing out of his clothes before bathtime and slipped, he also slipped out with "Oh, shit" again.  "Sammy!  Oh no!  We say oh no!"  "We say oh no, Mommy?"  "Yes, Sammy."  "Not shit?"  DOH!  "No Sammy, we say oh no."  "OK, Mommy."  Wow - guess you really have to spell it out sometimes . . .

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has/will make this mistake. I was so afraid my child's first word would be the F word...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once when I taught little kids.. The teacher down the hall was having her Kindergarteners make dictionaries of all the new words she learned and I thought it was a great idea.. until flipping through one, I saw that the student had written THE F word for his f word!

    tdm

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails