Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Swim Lessons

Today, Sammy had his third swim lesson at the Y.  Like I said before, it's getting better all the time.  Which is a huge jump from his first day.  His first day at swim lessons, Sammy got in trouble.

Sammy's teacher's name is Miss Denise.  I like Miss Denise.  She doesn't put up with any crap from Sammy, or anyone else.  On Sammy's first day of swim lessons, which was last Tuesday, he got a rude awakening.

Miss Denise is tough.  When it's not your turn to swim, she allows you to sit on the steps in the shallow end, but you have to keep your hand on the side of the pool.  Sammy didn't want to keep his hand on the side of the pool.  Therefore, Miss Denise made him sit outside the pool.

Every time it wasn't Sammy's turn to swim, Miss Denise let him try to sit on the steps in the shallow end.  And every time, Sammy took his hand off the side of the pool.  Sammy spent a lot of time sitting outside the pool his first day.  He didn't miss out on his turn to swim, it's just that he had to sit outside the pool, and everyone else got to sit inside the pool.  I think he was a bit cold.

After the end of his first lesson, Miss Denise came to me and said, "I'm sorry he had to sit out so much, but it's a safety issue."  I smiled and said, "I totally agree and completely support you."  I think Sammy listened.  Either that or else he realized Miss Denise means what she says.

Since then, when it's not his turn, Sammy's hands are GLUED to the side of the pool.  He has not had to sit out since that first day.  Granted, we're only on the third lesson, but either way, I think he got it.

As many of you know, I've been conflicted about whether to put Sammy into preschool this next year.  While he doesn't need it academically, my main concern lies in how he will do discipline-wise once he gets to kindergarten.  Swimming lessons has cemented my thoughts . . . I believe Sammy will do just fine in kindergarten.

That being said, when I do register Sammy for kindergarten at Katy Elementary next spring, I'm going to schedule a conference with his principal.  Sammy does not need the sweet, brand-new kindergarten teacher.  He needs the seasoned veteran who won't put up with his tricks.  Yes, he'll have a tough first day. He might even have a tough first week.  But either way, when his future kindergarten teacher shows him that she means what she says, I think he'll have a great year.  Just like he's having a great time in swim lessons with Miss Denise.

Speaking of, do you think Miss Denise will come to my house and tell Sammy to eat his dinner?  Take a bath?  Clean his room?  I think I need a Miss Denise mask . . .

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails