Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day Three . . .

We have survived day three of Sammy's tonsillectomy.  I'm saying survived because that is the only word that captures the sentiment of today.

First off, today was a roller coaster.  A roller coaster of feelings for Sammy.  Sammy's feelings depended on how recently he had taken his pain medication.  If the pain meds were kicked in, he was great - and I had to restrain him from running around the house.  If it was close to time for his next dosage, he was very mopey and tired.

Overall, I am very proud of his recovery.  He is really being sweet and listening to me, especially when I ask him to sit down on the couch.  This says to me that despite his good feelings, he knows it's not all roses. 

Today, we did get Sammy to eat some mashed potatoes, but his main diet consisted of ice cream.  Not exactly the best meal plan ever, but he's eating, so I won't complain.

In concert with Sammy's eating, let's talk about his breath.  It's terrible - it is like the breath of a tyrannosaurus rex from the Jurassic era.  And the worst part is, we can't brush his teeth.  All we can do is give him water.  Sammy still likes to eat toothpaste, and it would burn his incision areas, so we are stuck with carnivore breath.  Let me tell you what - it is awesome!

We are still being religious about Sammy's pain meds . . . I did have a Worst Mom Ever moment in the middle of the night - my alarm was set for 3:15 AM.  Apparently, I was trying to hit the snooze button, and ended up hitting the End button - which meant that at 4:30 AM, Sammy woke up crying from pain and was desperately in need of his meds.  I felt terrible!  After rocking him for several minutes and singing (I was singing El Shaddhai by Amy Grant to him) he did fall asleep again, but either way I felt awful.

Overall, I think we might be on the up, but it's still time for the scabs . . . In the meantime, more thanks to my Katy TOTs ladies!  Julia, who is an awesome sweet girl who I love, brought over roast and mashed potatoes for us, as well as brownies!  I think I ate half the brownies myself, and Sophia was shoving roast in her mouth like no tomorow.  I even got Sammy to eat some mashed potatoes!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails