Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day Two . . .

Apparently, we have survived day two of Sammy's tonsillectomy.  I would say it was day two of Sophia's tubes as well, but she is still Little Miss Sunshine - like nothing ever happened.

Honestly, most of the day, Sammy was like nothing ever happened, either.  After faithfully setting my alarm every four hours overnight to continue his pain meds, we seem to be ahead of the pain.  For now.  In the meantime, Mama's pretty tired.

We woke up at our usual time, which in our house is unthankfully around 7 am.  Sammy was in good spirits, and even requested jello.  Strawberry jello.  I'm sure it tasted great, but unfortunately it looked horrible after it was vomited on my $250 comforter.  It looked even more horrible when my husband announced "Oh, shit!"  mid-vomit stream.  I'm sure that made Sammy feel wonderful.  I know it made me feel awesome . . .

Therefore, we started our day with a bath.  And went uphill from there.  Sammy was feeling great - he got very mad at me when I told him he had to sit on the couch.  I'm not sure what the ENT and surgical staff were thinking when they stated that my almost 4-year old needed to practically be on bedrest for 7 - 10 days, but either way, it's not working out too well for us.

I ended up putting Sophia down for an early nap at 11 am, and then got Sammy to take a quick 20 minute nap.  Which was interrupted when PappaTony called to check on the patients.  No big deal - we were greeted by an excellent suprise when we walked into the living room.  I looked out the door and noticed a large "Get Well Soon" balloon floating around on my front porch. 

Sammy noticed it as well, and when I went out to investigate, I found a wonderful care package from my friend, Tanya - and Sammy and Sophia's friends, Matthew and Maddie (and Ambi and Zach!).  They had written us a really sweet card, Sammy got an awesome arts and crafts package, Sophia got little zoo animals, and there was even a Maeve Binchy novel for me.  I was absolutely shocked that Tanya had remembered that Binchy is my favorite novelist - I believe I've mentioned it once . . . what a wonderful friend, and a welcome surprise in our afternoon!


Here's Sammy showing off his handiwork!  FYI - it's a cow!

Come 4 o'clock, we needed a break - I loaded both of the children up and went to Sonic for a chocolate milkshake and a Diet Coke.  Plus we stopped off at the Redbox on the way home, returned Alvin and the Chipmunks Squeakquel from the night before and rented The Blind Side for Mama and Daddy and a Farm Animals show for Sammy.

Overall, it was a great day - I decided Sammy was sick this morning as his stomach was basically empty while he was taking Hydrocodone.  Not a good combination . . . Mike and I worked together and got Sammy to start eating mashed potatoes today.  Mashed potatoes and ice cream.  Not exactly the most appetizing meal, but it works for Sammy, so we are happy!

I did a lot of googling last night, and discovered that days 2 through 4 of tonsillectomies, the patient appears to be doing well.  However, come day 5, the scabs start to come off the back of the throat, and the patient will be in severe pain once again.  Given that, we've decided to continue on our regular pain medicaton dosage.  It meant that Sammy took a 20 minute nap today, and didn't end up going to bed until 10 pm, but it kept my little man happy and feeling well, so that is what matters to me.

Our only down point of the day was after Sammy's bath, and right before he was "supposed" to go to bed.  He began a crying jag at the end of his bath, that continued for approximately 45 minutes.  It was tough - trying to comfort Sammy, and keep Sophia happy as well.  But we made it - lots of prayers, and lots of hugs and singing.

Sammy's asleep now . . . my alarm clock is set for 3:15 in the morning . . . and hopefully tomorrow will be a good day.  Thanks again to my mom's group - my girlfriend Debra brought over some wonderful Ravioli Lasagne today - yum!  I think I am going to have to do some double time on the treadmill this week with all the good food everyone is bringing!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails