Monday, February 15, 2010

Humiliation in Stereo

My friend Lisa held our playgroup's Valentine's party today in conjunction with her son's 3rd birthday!  I knew about the party in advance, but I was procrastinating (as usual), and ended up having to put together Sammy's valentines in the car on the way to the party.  It was the perfect way to continue my crazy day . . .

We were at home all last week, so this week we had to get back into the groove again.  The groove, for us, is working out at the Y each day, plus attending our various playdates or Bible studies.  So, getting back into the groove takes some gumption.  I woke up determined to get to the Y before the Valentine's party, but it seems like my children . . . and everything else in the world as well . . . was determined for me not to.

The worst part, by far, of getting the kiddos ready is getting Sophia dressed.  She does not want to sit still for anything.  I'm trying to change her diaper and she is crawling off in mid-swipe.  It's exhausting - getting her clothes on is literally an aerobic workout.  Not only that, but she wriggles around so much that usually by the time I've gotten her dressed she urps on herself - which is not a good idea when she's been eating her brother's Cocoa Puffs.  I ended up having to change her clothes twice this morning before we'd ever gotten out the door.

Once we finally got out the door, I started the truck only to realize I needed to fill up the gas tank, plus I'd left my towel in the house.  No way I'm drying off with paper towels again after a shower at the Y!  I ran back in, grabbed the towel and got my coffee for good measure.  We stopped for gas, and then we finally got to the Y.  No snafus there, thank goodness, but again on the way to Lisa's I was making Sammy's valentines.  And he's yelling at me not to mess with his friend's valentines while I'm driving.  He's a smart child, I'll give him that.

I've been rambling a bit, but the whole point of this blog was to share my humiliation . . . in stereo.  Lisa's son Michael has an electronic keyboard with a microphone attached to it.  All the kids love to play with that toy  - my son included.  So, he gets the keyboard, and begins to sing Wiggles songs into the microphone.  No big deal, except at that point another child wanted a turn.  I asked Sammy to share the toy with his friend, and he replies . . . into the microphone . . . "No, Mommy.  I don't want to share."  Everyone looks at me.  And begins to giggle.

I ask him again to make good choices.  And he says, into the microphone, "I am making good choices.  I'm singing my songs."  More giggles.  I'm trying not to laugh.  Sammy, we need to share - let someone else play with the piano.  "No, I'm playing with it.  Lalalalala."  He is a walking musical.  And today, he humiliated me . . . in stereo.  Normally only I can hear him getting smart with me and refusing to share . . . but today everyone did.  Thanks, Sammy - some day when you are embarrassed of me and don't want anyone to know I'm your mom at school, I'm going to get a microphone and sing hey!  Look at me - I'm Sammy's mom!  It will be humiliation . . . in stereo!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. You can't seriously let that bother you? He is 3! I would give him MORE credit for expressing his feelings which is more mature than "sharing"! I still get a giggle out of the towel drying at the Y. You really should considering linking this post to your original post. It was dang funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I linked it, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails