Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Lesson in Density

Before you think we are all play and no learn, allow me to share a bit of our science lesson today . . . I saw this on A Place of Our Own yesterday.  I love that show - it comes on PBS during naptime.  I try to catch it when I can, and I should honestly DVR it, but I need room for my shows!

As my fellow scientists know, liquids have many properties, including density.  Here's an easy way to demonstrate density to your child by using items you have have in the house already!

Materials:
  • Shampoo
  • Water
  • Cooking Oil
  • Dish Soap
  • Large clear tumbler glass
  • Measuring Cup
Gather all materials and get set up!  Occupy your little one . . . Sophia loves to jump!


In the following order, measure 1/4 cup of water, cooking oil, dish soap, and shampoo.  Assist your child in pouring each liquid into the tall clear tumbler glass.  Point out to your child that although you poured in the water first, it does not stay on the bottom, but moves to the top each time.  Ask why the liquids separate.  Discuss that density is how heavy or light an object or a liquid is.  Point out that the water is lighter than the shampoo, which means the water is less dense. 

After all the liquids have separated, you can pour them into a different glass to mix them up again, and watch them separate.  It's pretty cool!  Your child will be amazed, AND they are learning! 

I love this picture because he looks like the mad scientist that he is!


Sammy told me emphatically that we were not supped to drink this because it was nasty!  Agreed, kiddo!

Did you discover anything new today?  I discovered wonder and amazement in the eyes of a 3 year old.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails