Friday, January 29, 2010

Howl at the Moon!

Mike took me on a date tonight to Howl at the Moon!  Have you been there?  It's a dueling piano bar located in downtown Houston.  They are a chain - we've been to the one in San Antonio on the riverwalk before, but never to this one.  It's definitely a different atmosphere than San Antonio - less tourists, no bachelorette parties to speak of, and a bit more of a neighborhood bar feel - almost like Cheers, where everyone knows your name, but no one there knew it.

Either way, we had a good time.  One of Mike's coworkers, Jill, had won a happy hour party there, with free drinks and appetizers for all, so of course we had to go - hello, free alcohol!

My parents took care of the kiddos, they did great and both were asleep by the time we got home.  Thanks, Meemar and PappaTony!

Since having children, we have not really been regulars on the bar scene, if you will.  I had forgotten about what used to be the bane of my existence - the bathroom attendant.  You know what I'm talking about - that person with all the beauty products in the bathroom who follows you around trying to squirt soap in your hand and give you paper towels.  Don't get me wrong, I know everyone has to make a living somehow, but surely there's something better that person could do than stalk me with stinky perfume! 

I absolutely hate bathroom attendants, and this one was no exception.  She had a knack for scratching her neck (sure sign of a crackhead), and though I tried to ignore her she would stand right behind me and put paper towels right in front of me every time I finished washing my hands.  It was almost enough for me to want to NOT wash my hands, but at the end of the day, you have to be clean! 

I think she figured out I wasn't going to tip her, because hello, she was stalking ME!  So then she started being even more obnoxious.  Now, normally I would tip her at the end of the night, not every time I had to go to the bathroom, but when she started being rude, I wasn't tipping anymore.  Unfortunately for me it seemed like I had to go to the bathroom every five minutes.  Don't you hate that - when you break the seal?  Another memory from days gone by.

After we left Howl at the Moon, we were starving, and Mike took me to dinner at Saltgrass.  We split a steak, a bottle of Pinot Noir, and a tasty slice of chocolate cake.  My parents had given us a $60 gift certificate as part of our Christmas present, and wouldn't you know it our bill ended up being $60.97!  Don't you love it when life works out like that?

Photobucket

PS - We also split a hangover the next morning . . . I hate it when THAT happens, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails